Area of expertise/speciality:
Ben is a partner in Magrath LLP’s leading immigration practice and Managing Director of Magrath Global (Singapore). He is recognised as a leading UK expert by the legal community and is listed in both Legal 500 and Chambers Directory for his expertise in immigration law and, in particular, his experience of the financial services sector. Ben’s client base spans numerous other sectors, including media, industry and professional services.
As immigration counsel to major city institutions, Ben has spoken on numerous occasions to the financial round table for global mobility and other leading fora.
Ben also has experience in family reunion matters, including applications for entry clearance to the UK for spouses, civil partners and other dependant relatives. He has presented appeals to the Immigration Appellate Authority.
Ben provides advice and assistance to major multi-national companies and individuals of all nationalities seeking work authorisation, authorisation for economic based activities (such as business entrepreneurs and representatives of overseas companies) and to skilled migrants and investors. Notably, Ben has experience in strategic immigration planning for large organisations and he assists international assignments departments and human resource managers to develop compliance and legal right to work (LRTW) policies.
Ben has contributed to the implementation and development of the points based system by organising and chairing stakeholder meetings with UKBA officials and directors of PBS Policy.
Ben enjoys lecturing on immigration issues for organisations such as BPP Professional Development, Central Law Training and the Immigration Law Practitioners Association (ILPA). He has contributed to a number of publications including in-house and corporate international magazine.
Ben is delighted to be heading Magrath Global (Singapore), the first Magrath immigration business in the East.
Ben started legal life as a Barrister in 1994 and practiced in Chambers for a number of years before joining the solicitor’s profession. At the Bar he focused on immigration appeals including applications for judicial review of decisions of the Secretary of State, appeals to the Court of Appeal. He has also taken cases to the European Court of Justice.
- 2000 Partner – Immigration Department
- 2000 Magrath LLP
- 1998 – 2000 DJ Webb & Co (Immigration & Nationality Solicitors)
- 1995 – 1998 Enfield Chambers (Barristers Chambers)
- 1994 – 1995 6 Gray’s Inn Square (Barristers Chambers)
- 1989 – 1991 Sorbonne University Paris (lecteur)
Recent Notable Experience
- Working with UK Border Agency to develop strategic changes to Tier 1 of the points based system and, in particular, the provisions relating to entrepreneurs and investors seeking to enter the UK and contribute to the British economy.
- Advising global mobility departments of major multi-nationals in developing strategic immigration policy, recruitment strategies, issues in respect of resident labour market testing.
- Working with a diverse range of clients to manage their sponsor needs in the light of the imposition of the interim caps and annual quotas.
- Ben also works on complex individual immigration matters including regularisation of immigration status for the parent of a British child with particular reference to the Supreme Court decision in ZH(Tanzania) and Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights.
- Ben also worked on the cases of Barkoci and Malik (cC-28/99) before the European Court of Justice on the rights of self-employed central and eastern European country citizens in EU member states under the Europe agreements.
Ben enjoys many sports and has recently completed the London marathon. He obtained a degree in French Language and Literature and enjoys escaping to France whenever he can.