Hong Kong

Who needs an Entry Visa?

Many nationals do not require a visa to enter Hong Kong. For a full list of countries requiring visas, see the Immigration Department of Hong Kong (IMMD) Website.

A visa or entry permit is not required for any purpose if you hold any of the following travel documents:

  • Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card;
  • Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Passport;
  • British National (Overseas) Passport;
  • Hong Kong Certificate of Identity;
  • Hong Kong re-entry permit (from entry from the Mainland of China and the Macao Special Administrative Region only);
  • Hong Kong Seamen’s Identity Book;
  • Hong Kong Document of Identity for Visa Purposes provided that the document is valid or the holder’s limit of stay in Hong Kong has not expired; or

Travel documents bearing one of the following endorsements:

  • “Holder’s eligibility for Hong Kong permanent identity card verified”;
  • “The holder of this travel document has the right to land in Hong Kong (Section 2AAA, Immigration Ordinance, Cap. 115, Laws of Hong Kong).

Application Process

Foreign nationals requiring an Entry Visa in advance can apply at their nearest Chinese diplomatic and consular mission. Alternatively, this can be done either directly by post or through a local sponsor to HKSAR Immigration Department.

If you are a Chinese resident of Taiwan, the application must be submitted through one of the authorised airlines.

Short Term Visit Pass

On arrival in Hong Kong, visitors will be issued with a visa, valid for between 7 and 90 days, dependant upon the type of travel document.

Extension applications can be made in person or within 7 days from expiry of the limit of stay to the Extension Section or any Immigration Branch Offices, and will usually be finalised on the same day.

Work Visa

The relevant criteria for obtaining a work visa for Hong Kong are not set in stone. The applicant will need a job offer, as well as a graduate degree and experience in the position in which they are applying for; the salary should meet local professional standards; the company must prove that the position cannot be filled by a local and/ or the applicant has a skill in short supply in the city; and the applicant must contribute to the local economy.

Work visa applications generally take between 7 and 8 weeks.

Family members

A Hong Kong permanent resident or a resident who is not subject to a limit of stay, may sponsor the following dependant applications to join them:

  • Spouse;
  • Unmarried dependant child under the age of 18;
  • Parent aged 60 or above.

Someone who has been admitted to Hong Kong to take up employment, or who is permitted to remain may sponsor the following dependant applications to join them:

  • Spouse;
  • Unmarried dependant child under the age of 18.

For a dependant applicant, the following factors may be taken into account:

  • The nature of the relationship;
  • The applicant’s record; and
  • The sponsor’s ability to support and accommodate the applicant for the duration of the stay.

An extension of stay can be applied for 4 weeks before the expiration of the visa expires.

Further immigration options

  • Training
  • Investment- to establish/ join in business
  • Study
  • Employment of Domestic Helpers from Abroad
  • Employment as Imported Workers
  • Capital Investment Entrant Scheme
  • Quality Migrant Admission Scheme
  • Working Holiday Scheme


To enquire how Magrath Global can assist you further in the processes detailed above please click Here

The contents of this article are for information purposes only. The information and opinions expressed in this document do not constitute legal advice and should not be regarded as a substitute for legal advice or a comprehensive statement of law or current practice. Immigration rules and requirements frequently change without notice. You should not rely upon the contents of this document but instead should seek appropriate professional and legal advice in the light of your personal circumstances. No liability is accepted for the opinions contained or for any errors or omissions. Please contact our Global Immigration Team for further information.