Who needs an Entry Visa?

There are 5 types of visiting visas for Australia:

  • Visitor visa: for applicants wishing to travel to Australia for tourism, study or to engage in business visitor activities.
  • Electronic Travel Authority (ETA): allows a tourist or a business visitor to enter Australia as many times as required, for up to 3 months at a time, during a 12 month period. Foreign nationals from 30 eligible countries can apply for this visa. The ETA eliminates all need for paperwork, visiting visa offices and having a stamp or label in your passport.
  • eVisitor: This is for people who hold passports from specified countries and wish to visit Australia for tourism or business purposes. The visa permits a stay for up to 3 months at a time, during a 12 month period.
  • Medical Treatment visa.
  • Special Category visa: for New Zealand Citizens who hold a valid New Zealand passport and want to travel to Australia for tourism, work, study and stay.

Other Visa Types

  • Working Holiday visa

The Working Holiday visa is a temporary visa for young people wishing to work and holiday in Australia for up to a year. It is a temporary visa that encourages cultural exchange and closer ties between Australia and eligible countries. Applicants must be 18-30 years of age and have no accompanying child dependants throughout their stay.

  • Gap Year/ Exchange visa
  • Study visa

Student visas are temporary visas that allow applicants into Australia for a specified period to study at an Australian educational institution.

  • Special Program visa

This is a temporary visa that allows applicants to participate in an approved program providing opportunities for youth exchange, cultural enrichment or community benefits. The applicant must be invited by an approved special program sponsor.

Applicants can apply from within or outside Australia (but must remain so throughout the duration of the application process).

  • Training & Research visa
  • Investment/ Retirement visa
  • Air and Sea Crew visa
  • Transit visa

The Transit visa permits a stay in Australia for no longer than 72 hours.

  • Bridging visa

This is a temporary visa which allows the applicant to remain lawfully in Australia for a period of time after the applicant’s current substantive visa ends whilst the new substantive visa application is being processed.

  • Work visa

To work, you must have a valid Australian visa with work rights. A range of temporary and permanent skilled visas are available, these are:

  • Distinguished Talent
  • Temporary Work (Short Stay Activity)
  • Temporary Work (Long Stay Activity)
  • Temporary Work (International Relations)
  • Temporary Work (Entertainment)
  • Temporary Graduate Visa
  • Sponsored/ Nominated Work Visa

Family members

There are a number of migration options for fiancés, partners, children and parents of Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens. The categories include:

  • Partner category
  • Parent
  • Child
  • New Zealand and Citizen Family Relationship
  • Humanitarian Program- Split family provisions


To enquire how Magrath Global can assist you further in the processes detailed above please click Here

The contents of this article are for information purposes only. The information and opinions expressed in this document do not constitute legal advice and should not be regarded as a substitute for legal advice or a comprehensive statement of law or current practice. Immigration rules and requirements frequently change without notice. You should not rely upon the contents of this document but instead should seek appropriate professional and legal advice in the light of your personal circumstances. No liability is accepted for the opinions contained or for any errors or omissions. Please contact our Global Immigration Team for further information.